Based off of successful organizing practices from the Obama for America campaigns and the engagement organizing framework developed by Marshall Ganz, this highly interactive 1-day training with Organize BC will give participants a grounding in organizing practices to successfully create distributed leadership teams to work on campaigns. As a participant, you can expect to walk away with a deeper understanding of what it means to be an organizer in your community, and have practical next steps to implement.
Most of the day follows the ladder of engagement approach an organizer uses to escalate a supporter into a volunteer leadership using the 'organizing cycle'. The organizing cycles steps includes (with corresponding workshop content):
- A supporter signing a petition (Canvassing)
- The supporter being asked to volunteer (prospecting and hard asks),
- The volunteer committing to becoming a regular team member (recruitment 1:1)
- Maintaining the relationship with the team member (maintenance 1:1 and coaching)
- Escalating the team member into a leadership position where they will run canvasses and recruit other volunteers (leadership tests and escalation 1:1)
We'd like all training participants to coordinate with an organizer prior to attending. If you weren't invited by a point person from your campaign, please checkin with this training's recruitment coordinator: Peter Gibbs, Lead Organizer at Organize BC, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- To be inclusive, we endeavour to keep Organize BC trainings scent-free. Please help us by avoiding using scented products.
- If the cost of childcare inhibits your ability to attend this event we are able to provide support. Please contact Peter at email@example.com
- The room is wheelchair accessible and is on the 1st floor of the building, and there are wheelchair accessible washrooms.
- There is a private, gender inclusive washroom onsite
- If you have any specific accessibility questions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact Peter at firstname.lastname@example.org
515 W Hastings St
Vancouver, BC V6B 5K3
Google map and directions